Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 2

Today I was discharged so we put everything in the car, later on the NICU told us that they had a few bedrooms to stay in above the NICU while we were waiting for the Ronald McDonald house to have a vacancy. We met several of the doctors but I'm afraid I just don't remember much about that first few days. I know every day we usually saw the neonatologist and then a fellow who rounded with a whole group of medical students (which was surreal, reminded me of a TV show). We saw surgery on certain days and respiratory several times a day while Jonah was intubated (on a ventilator) and then less often as he was weaned to CPAP and a nasal cannula. They began talking about surgery today, saying maybe tomorrow or the next day depending on the surgical schedule.

Today I got to hold Jonah for the first time! The nurse is the one that offered it, I know it seems like this varies a lot depending on the hospital you're in. For us, it was less than 48 hours later, but again, I have no real photos as we didn't have a camera. This is when they tried to find the one the NICU has but it was already checked out. It was so wonderful but also very scary and stressful too. With all of those wires and tubes, it has to be a very orchestrated event. They had me sit in a chair right next to the warmer, then two nurses had to get all of the wires and tubes just right and set him in my lap and then tape all of the tubes in place around me in the chair. I was so appreciative of being able to though, it would have been easy for the NICU nurses to say it was too upsetting to move him but once he got snuggled in he was pretty happy...and I definitely was!

No comments:

Post a Comment