Thursday, June 18, 2009

2nd Day Home

My husband had to go off to work already today, no extra vacation time to spare since he took off when Jonah was born and again for the second surgery. Sure was glad when he came back home from work. This staying at home stuff is wonderful but intimidating too! Jonah got his first bath at home today too, fun fun! It's also our four year wedding anniversary today!

The Visiting Nurse came today for the first time too. She comes to the house and does weight checks, listens to Jonah's breathing and does an overall assessment like taking his temperature and measuring his length and head circumfrence. Her first visit was longer than most as she was taking a history and getting familiar with Jonah. She'll be coming twice a week for a while then once a week after that. To tell the truth though, I was a bit disappointed by the experience. I expected her to come with a POx (Pulse Oximeter) to check his oxygen saturations since that was my main worry while in the NICU. Instead she asked me what she should be looking for and it seemed focused mostly on his weight. He lost a little weight but seeing as scales can measure differently, I wasn't too concerned, I was glad she wasn't either. She didn't like the fact that I wanted to get off the fortified breastmilk as soon as possible. It made Jonah irritable as he didn't digest it well and I was convinced he was gaining weight fine before they put him on it but didn't want to argue in the NICU for fear of it taking longer for us to get home. Now that we were home, I wanted off the stuff, fast! I told her I'd talk to my pediatrician about it Monday but that I'd prefer to check his weight gain on that. Overall I appreciated her coming, it made me feel good that someone was looking at him regularly, but I think I could have done most of it myself if we bought a baby scale.

On another note, Jonah looks soooo tiny in his big boy crib! I thought moving from the NICU warmer to a crib was a big change but holy smokes he looks tiny in his regular crib. It feels so weird to put him in it, he only takes up 1% of the bed! I should have gotten a picture but of course, when the baby is sleeping, don't do anything to jeopordize that!

No comments:

Post a Comment