Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 49 - The feeding tube comes out

Every day during rounds they talk about how much of Jonah's food he took PO (by mouth) the day before. I know that's our main hurdle since the oxygen saturation has been going so well, so it's become the first thing I ask when I come in in the morning (when I manage to flag down a nurse). Today they announced that yesterday he took 82% of his feedings by mouth so they decided to take out his feeding tube and see how it goes. They'll now feed him whenever he gets hungry and just keep a shift minimum. I have taken to bribing Jonah, "please eat, momma needs out of this hospital!".

I also asked to speak with the doctor. I know they don't like to give "going home" estimates as it's heartbreaking when the babies don't make it home by then, but I need to have a serious conversation with her. I've been out on maternity leave for almost 7 weeks now and I only get 12, if it's going to take too much longer I might need to consider going back now so I have some time left when Jonah does come home. She says that she really thinks Jonah will be coming home next week. I really almost cried right then and there. I know it's not for sure yet, but I want it to be true so badly!

No comments:

Post a Comment