Monday, June 15, 2009

Day 51 - Another "crazy mom" moment

OK, I've now done it, I've decided there's a nurse I don't want assigned to my son. Its so hard, because I don't want to be that mom. But she's had Jonah twice since he's been up on the 7th floor this second time and both times she's felt the need to put him on oxygen, even though no one else does...ever. So what's the deal? She admits she's not used to working with NICU babies, so is it just that she gets worried about the alarming? I've been told that if Jonah's saturation levels drop below 90% but then he "self corrects" (meaning they come back up without the nurses needing to intervene) then that is fine, many "regular" full term babies do that we just don't know it because they're not hooked up to a freaking monitor 24 hours a day. So this nurse just feels that he wasn't self-correcting fast enough so it was better to put him on oxygen so we didn't tire him out. If we are ever going to get home he's got to prove he can do it on his own! I won't have a monitor at home so I need to know that he'll be OK! Grrrr. I really don't want to ask that she be assigned elsewhere so I'm just going to see who's assigned overnight going forward and hope it's not her. She's not a regular anyways.

Other than that everything is good. He gained weight 2 out of 3 days over the weekend. They are using the "H word" (home) more and more often. Please please please let us go home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment